Walking4Norfolk, founded by James Bagge, raises funds for the Walking4Norfolk Fund for Unpaid Carers. Unpaid Carers are the devoted and selfless souls who care for their loved ones at home, saving the public purse hundreds of millions a year. They include the Young Carers (under 18), who are looking after a family member at the same time as pursuing their studies, juggling their caring duties with life as a child or teenager.
They receive nothing for this.
The Walking4Norfolk Fund is managed by the Norfolk Community Foundation (NCF) and provides grants to organisations offering projects to support Unpaid Carers, providing respite from their significant day-to-day caring commitments.
We know charities have been having particularly difficult times raising funds during the pandemic, deprived of all the usual opportunities to raise profile and money. Likewise, businesses have found it increasingly difficult to build and motivate teams.
So let’s put 2020 behind us…
Last year, as a ‘Lockdown Challenge’, we undertook a ‘virtual’ walk from Land’s End to John O’Groats. In other words, we walked the miles but not the actual route. That’s ‘virtual’ for you!
Ten teams shared the burden of accumulating the 900+ miles. And we raised approximately £45,000 for four separate charities.
Joining the W4N Challenge 2021 couldn’t be simpler:
- Fill out our Simple Signup form to let us know you would like to participate.
- Choose your charity or cause (if not already known).
- Form a team of five – they can be friends, work colleagues, fellow fundraisers and so on.
- Sign up via our Registration Form and send us the information we need.
- On 12th May 2021, start walking!
- You can walk your usual route, take your dog on a new walk, walk with your support bubble…
- Upload your daily total via our Challenge tracking page (a link will be provided).
- Watch the Challenge evolve on the website and social media, and feel very proud of yourselves for supporting a worthwhile cause and getting fit at the same time!
You can walk anywhere that is permitted, in line with current government regulations!
W4N will not charge you an entrance fee but there are ways you can support our fundraising efforts.
- November 2020 Lockdown 2.0 Coast2Coast Challenge – 180 miles. In teams of two we took on a virtual Wainwright Coast to Coast from St Bees Head in Cumbria to Robin Hood’s Bay on the North Yorkshire coast.
- May 2020 LEJOG Lockdown Challenge – 970 miles. A ‘virtual walk’ undertaken by eight teams of eight walkers (and some on bicycles) from Land’s End to John O’Groats (‘LEJOG’), raising £23,000 for Norfolk charities supporting young carers affected by the national lockdown; and over £45,000 for all four charities chosen by our teams of walkers.
- September 2019 Norwich to Walsingham – 37 miles. A three-day group walk raising £15,000 for Norfolk charities supporting unpaid carers.
- April-June 2018 ‘Modern Pilgrimage’ to Santiago de Compostela – 1500 miles. A solo walk by James Bagge, starting at King’s Lynn, and raising £70,000 for Norfolk charities supporting unpaid carers.